Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Why I do Birth Stories

When I gave birth to my daughter it was the single most triumphant moment in my life. Everything that my body, soul and spirit had worked so hard for, was finally here. That perfect moment when she was first laid in my arms and my entire being could relax into my husband's arms and around her tiny little body, will stay with me forever.

All the rest of it is a complete blur...I have to look at my pictures to remember anything else about that 23 hours of LABOR! But when I do, I get to see all the beauty, power and love that surrounded me and my family during that time when all I can remember is the pain, pain and more pain. I love being able to see the strength in my body, the consistency of my husband's support, my dad's nervousness and all the other moving emotions that were so prevalent....because I sure don't remember all that...I was a little sidetracked...

That what's led me in this direction. I want a mom to be able to look at her birth story album and see all the things she missed or forgot...how her husband stared at her with admiration for 36 hrs. straight, how her family partied in the waiting room, how every muscle in her body worked to deliver her baby. Births bring out the most beautiful aspects of all involved and I love being able to capture those interactions for the family to enjoy for generations to come.

I respect all styles of births and am willing to cover any birth that you choose...except, maybe heading out into the forest by yourself, I don't do that My daughter and niece were both born at home and I'm very comfortable in that environment. I'm also cool with hospital and birth center births...as long as there's a baby coming, I'm fine! My photography style is completely unobtrusive and I pay very close attention to what the mom and dad are going through and how much space they need. I do everything I can not to use my flash and stay invisible. I also use a lot of discretion and make sure to take modest pictures that you will be comfortable sharing.

The portraits captured in these moments are the most powerful, moving and touching images I've ever had the pleasure to create. This is, by far, my favorite part of photography and I'd love to share it with you. If you're interested, please contact me for a consultation and coffee (okay, maybe decaf tea for you )

Check out the slideshow to share in the joy of Scarlett's birth. If you'd like to see it bigger, please click here

No comments: